HUNMANBY BREWERY


c.1810 – C,1918.

By

CES.Mowthorpe. Copyright 2007.




According to certain Osbaldeston papers, “a piece of land bounded by the Roman Road (an old nick-name (?) for the churchyard walk between Stonegate and today, Bridlington St,) and Southgate (today Bridlington St, to the South of the Church was in use for the drying of Hops. Hence during the Enclosure (1908) a Brewery was built upon this land (today’s Bayley Gardens). The main village well was situated hereabouts which was another incentive.

Hunmanby beer was highly regarded and was supplied to all the local inns and alehouses.

My paternal grandfather Dawson Mowthorpe had for many years – right up to the brewery’s closure – the contract for supplying horses, himself being the driver for working the Brewery Dray. Each week at six oclock on the Wednesday night the dray was laden at Hunmanby Brewery with a full load. Dawson then set off for Sherburn, ten miles away on the (today) A64 . Arriving at Sherburn Brewery, half the load of Hunmanby beer was taken off the dray and re-loaded with Sherburn beer. Dawson then set off across the carrs to Scarborough Brewery. Crossing the carrs took place around sever oclock, just as the farm workers were going to work. Dawson was a very popular man with these workers because being a strong Primitive Methodist he was naturally tee-total but both breweries gave him a gallon of beer – as a perk – with no use himself for this beer, he gave it out to each farm worker he met in turn. No wonder he was popular !

Arriving at Scarborough Brewery about ten oclock the Hunmanby beer was taken and replaced by Scarborough beer. He then brought his load back to the Hunmanby Brewery where it was distributed by the Brewery amongst the local inns and alehouses.

With the Breweries permission, Dawson Mowthorpe was allowed to pick up any parcels etc. which required delivery to Hunmanby, provided they were left at Scarborough Brewery prior to his visit. This became quite a profitable sideline and after the brewery closed he became (amongst his other interests) a Scarborough carrier each Wednesday.

Presumably after WW.1.most of the small breweries amalgamated, eventually becoming the huge breweries of today. Hence, the Hunmanby Brewery closed down.

Shortly afterwards it became a Creamery where local farmers took their milk at a guaranteed price. With the great farming recession of the late 1920’s the Creamery folded-up and the ‘Brewery’ was converted into a village Institute where community needs were held. Many of us remember the Saturday night dances held throughout WW.2. and many a village swain was taught the rudiments of dancing in ‘The Institute’.

One pertinent point The main Hunmanby well was known for it sweet-tasting water. Hunmanby Brwery’s beer also had a ‘rare’ quality. Now studying the local geography it is noted that this well and brewery are directly below the burial ground of ‘All Saint’s’ Church’ which has buried parishioners for a thousand years !!